There’s only one Authentic Original, but there are lots of ways to tie it and make it your own. Want to learn how to tie a Barrel Knot, Chain Knot, Fishtail Knot, Tassel Knot, or looking for tips on how to re-lace your boat shoes? You’ve come to the right place.
Whether you call it the barrel lace, the heaving knot, or something else, one thing is clear: it’s a classic boat shoe look that brings boatloads of compliments.
Here’s a step-by-step list on how to tie the barrel knot:
Step 1. Fold the lace over itself, making a loop. Twist the Loop.
Step 2. Wrap the remaining lace around the loop 5 times.
Step 3. Thread the end of the lace through the end of the loop and pull the end of the lace while pushing the knot to tighten.
Step 4. Trim any excess lace.
The chain lace is inspired by a sailing knot of the same name used to decorate or shorten a rope. Fun fact: to untie this knot, simply tug hard on each of the ends of the chain knots.
Here’s a few quick and easy steps on how to tie the chain knot:
1. Make a loop, making sure the lace is coming across the front.
2. Make a second loop with your other hand.
3. Push the second loop through the first one, going in from the back.
4. Pull to tighten.
5. Repeat 2-3 more times.
6. Tuck the end of the lace into the final loop at the end of each knot.
7. Tuck the ends of each chain into each other.
There are plenty of fish in the sea. The best way to make your A/O your own is by tying them using this unique technique.
Here’s how you can tie your own fishtail knot:
1. Insert the laces into the eyelets running vertically.
2. Cross your laces and bring each side up and over the loop on the opposite side.
3. Repeat this step 3 times (following the steps from left to right).
4. Tighten and trim any excess lace.
5. Tuck the ends of the laces behind the braid.
The Tassel Knot puts a “twist” on the barrel knot and is another fun way to avoid retying your shoes every time that you put them on.
Here’s how you can tie the Tassel knot:
1. Cross your laces left over right and then right over left over left to make a square knot (follow steps from left To right).
2. Hold one lace to form a loop.
3. Wrap the remaining lace around the loop 3 times.
4. Tuck the end in and tighten.
Let’s make things personal. You’re an original and your style should be too. Customize your boat shoes with a pop of color laces to make them all your own.
Here we’ll teach you how to relace your boat shoes step-by-step:
1. Taper the end of the lace (use the Sperry relacing kit and a pair of scissors)
2. Place the end of the lace into the needle.
*Pro Tip: You May Also Want To Wrap The Lace And Needle With Tape So That The Lace Does Not Fall Out Of The Needle.
3. Begin by lacing through the inside of the bottom eyelet on one side.
5. Push the needle through each eyelet.
6. Flatten the back of the shoe to let the needle in easier.
7. Thread the needle through the outside of the last eyelet on the bottom.
8. Remove the needle from the lace.
9. Finish by crossing the laces through the last eyelets.
Customize Sperry’s best-selling wet weather boot, the Saltwater duck boot. Design your own custom duck boots with colors and personalized monograms.